Applying for the ET Card

If a person wants to perform electrical work for a C-10 contractor, they must be certified by the state of California. There is a certified electrician, an apprentice and an electrical trainee.

Joining our program allows the student to apply to become an electrical trainee (ET).

The student must register as an Electrician Trainee within 30 days of enrolling in CET.

  • Step 1
    Enroll in CET’s ET Program. CET will email you an enrollment letter and the State of California's Electrician Trainee Registration form.
  • Step 2
    Print out the paperwork and complete the Registration form. CET is school number 151.
  • Step 3
    Send the registration form, CET enrollment letter and a check or money order for the State's $25 registration fee to the Department of Industrial Relations. (The DIR’s address is on the registration form.)
  • Step 4
    The State will send you a letter and ET card confirming that you are a state-registered ET. (This usually takes about 4-6 weeks from the date you mailed your application to the State.)

If you have questions regarding your ET card status, you can contact the State using the below information:

Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Attn: Electrician Certification Unit
PO Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142-0603
Phone: (510) 286-3900
Fax: (510) 286-3917