Renewing the ET Card

The Electrician Trainee card is valid for one year. Until you have applied for and passed the State Electrical Certification Exam, you must renew your ET card.

If you are not sure when your expiration date is, you can look it up at the following link:

Time to renew your Electrician Trainee Card?

  • Step 1
    Request a renewal letter from CET at (562) 485-9144 or
    Note: If you are not compliant in your schooling, we will not be able to issue your renewal letter.
  • Step 2
    CET will email you the renewal letter and renewal registration form. Print these out and complete the form.
  • Step 3
    Submit the paperwork to the DIR, the address is on the registration form.
    Note: There is no fee to renew if the paperwork is submitted before your ET card expiration date.
    (if the ET card expires there is a $25 fee to reinstate it.)
  • Step 4
    The State will inform you in writing if your card has been renewed or if they require any additional information.

If you have questions regarding your ET card status, you can contact the State using the below information:

Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Attn: Electrician Certification Unit
PO Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142-0603
Phone: (510) 286-3900
Fax: (510) 286-3917